New Balance/Parents Group launched
4-5 Gray's Inn Square has launched an internal group for working parents. The Balance/Parents Group is a forum for discussing gender balance and parenting issues that may be relevant to those in chambers. The aim of the group is to provide information, resources, support and collegiality, both formally and informally. The group also aims to provide a forum to discuss issues around gender discrimination and to positively promote gender equality, recognising that a gender characteristic often impacts an individual’s experience and progression in the workplace.
Above all, the group provides structured opportunities for parents to come together to build a support network and support their career development, which itself feeds into the topics of talent retention and increased gender parity at the Bar.
The group, led by Rosalee Dorfman and Rowena Wisniewska will cover a number of topics, including:
- Balancing your childcare commitments and paid work
- The importance of Diversity and Inclusion
- Flexible working and job sharing
- What kind of support do we need to give to our children and how does this change over time?
- Our bodies, ourselves, physical and mental wellbeing
- Dealing with childcare emergencies
- Managing with more than one child